Vegan-mas Snowy Energy Balls
This holiday season we decided to stay local and headed to the Lakes By Yoo for our fill of a cabin away from prying eyes and the hustle and bustle of the outside world.
Our feet were tickled by the warmth of a log fire and we began our day with a grapefruit hued sunrise. The lake gleamed in ribbons of mercury as Swans and ducks majestically sailed past us, greeting us with a flap and a quack or two.
The only thing missing consequently was snow dusted rooftops. I decided we needed to add some to our menu instead! These Coconut Snowy Topped Energy Balls sang Christmas carols as I made them. The Gilded Bee Pollen covered balls reminding me of baubles on the tree.
Happy Vegan-mas My Lovelies! Even to those part-time ones like myself and Merry Christmas! Do let me know if you have tried this recipe in the comments below or on Instagram. I would love to hear all about it! xx
Photography and Styling | Shan Lee
Makes about 20-25 Vegan-mas Balls
1 cup of organic dates, pitted
1 cup Almonds
1/2 cup of Pecans
3/4 cup mixed raisins and cranberries
1 tbsp linseeds/flaxseeds
1 tbsp lemon zest or peel
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Ginger
1 tsp Nutmeg
FOR CASHEW FROSTING
1/2 Raw Cashews soaked overnight until soft
2 tbsp Maple Syrup
2 tbsp Almond Milk
1 tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
1 tbsp Coconut oil
2/3 large pinches of organic raw coconut chips
A large handful of red currants and a few sprigs for the serving board
A handful of bee pollen
- Soak the raw cashews in water overnight to soften them for blitzing.
- Add all the ingredients for the energy balls in the food processor (excluding the ones for frosting and decorating.
- Blitz for 5 mins until they stick together, add a drop of water if the mixture is too dry.
- Divide mixture into (slightly smaller than a golf ball) bite-size balls. Make sure they are large enough to decorate with the red currants.
- Set aside in the fridge.
- Start making the frosting by draining the cashews and pouring them into the food processor along with the rest of the frosting ingredients.
- Blitz until all the coconut chips have been blended to leave a smooth but slightly grainy texture. Add more almond milk if necessary.
- Transfer to a container and Freeze for 10-15 mins until pliable yet less runny.
- Spread the frosting on each energy ball and decorate with red currants or bee pollen.